Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hey, today's Chinese letter & essay writing was actually rather enjoyable. I had fun writing it. :D

Letter was about that XXX Primary School who (had) "halalised" their canteen, much to the displeasure & disapproval of upset parents and the general public. I took a stand which I wasn't 100% for, but well, still managed to cook up 3.5 pages of a letter to my cousin in America. (thank goodness there was an article on it in Friday Weekly! Though I read it a reallyyyyy long time ago, I could still vaguely recall its points on multi-racialism and how interaction between races can take place not only in the canteen...)

The other topic for letter-writing was about the Youth Olympics and how it'd shape Singapore's society & build our sports scene etc.

Yes, move over.

I'd require a huge vocab to write THAT one.

Oh, essay was cool. I didn't do 报章报道 coz I've never liked it anyway. (It's too... structured, don't you think? There's like not much room for expression and all.)

Instead, I did Q4, the one on whether brutal (direct translation unknown - they used this 成语 which contained this absolutely foreign word I couldn't decipher no matter how hard I tried. Could've checked the dictionary actually, but didn't bother coz it didn't really hamper my understanding of the question? I hope.) punishment is a good way of reducing car accidents and making the roads a safer place for all. I agreed (, as with corporal punishment) and kept doing that rhetorical question thing & pushing my point of view at them.

"Don't you agree? Of course you do, why wouldn't you?" "I know you agree." "Yes, I hear you say."

Like brainwashing. Rather low-class, but whatever.

Oh. I kept writing 认 as 让, which was irritating as I had to waste time 1) thinking of which was the right word & 2) correcting the words I wrote wrongly. Tsk.

Actually, they don't deduct marks for 错别字s in the O-levels, if you didn't know... But there's this 印象分 thing. It's like this unwritten, arcane component which teachers seriously consider when giving you marks... (according to my chinese teacher)

- V for Vif

No comments: