Monday, November 05, 2007

I SOUND SO AUNTYISH! HAHAHAHAHA. xD brace yourself.


To the Editor

I was both displeased and saddened by the attitude and behaviour displayed by the supporters of the Singapore Slingers at yesterday's match, which had the Slingers against the Perth Wildcats.

Indeed, the Singapore Slingers have done us proud, and deserve our support. But at yesterday's match, most of the supporters had taken this too far. They were jeering loudly at the Perth Wildcats, and basically, showing a total lack of sportsmanship. It was especially discouraging to see parents with young children jeering, and teaching their kids to do the same.

Making noise and jeering to distract the players from the Perth Wildcats is unfair towards them; I noted that the supporters of the Wildcats did no such thing towards the Slingers.

What could have arose such discourteous behaviour from the Singaporeans, and what's more, at an international arena in the presence of foreign visitors? Shouldn't Singaporeans display some stadium etiquette and not treat our foreign counterparts with such hostility, especially since we are their hosts? This would only leave them with a bad impression of Singaporeans, and contradict all our pro-tourism measures.

Sadly, Singapore is not yet the gracious society it aims to be.




I tell you, I was JUST about to send it when my mom said, "Don't". Then she launched into an succinct explanation on how it might cause some kind of international dispute. One can never know...

And I thought I wrote it in the nicest way possible. I was much angrier in actual fact than I seemed in the letter. And oh yes, I didn't even write a 1000-word critical argumentative essay on that commentator. If I did, my letter could have gotten him the sack. =[

But I shall be nice. Singaporeans are a nice lot. Aren't they?

- V for Virulent


P/S:
When I was dragged at the last minute by my guy friends from church to "GO WATCH! WE HAVE EXTRA TICKETS!", I was more reluctant then anything, coz, hur, I am not really the athletic type. (But oh, the irony, I actually got "Best Athlete Award" in kindergarten?! Anghui can vouch for that. Haha. How hilarious, come to think of it... But it's my pride. ;D)

I had thought that I would fall asleep halfway through the match, coz I've never played basketball in my entire life and don't know the rules of the game and how the players scored. But surprisingly, the game was really rewarding & enriching & it was so adrenaline-pumping. I, haha, actually loved it. It's much more interesting than classical music concerts (surprise, surprise. I wonder what my piano teacher would say). Few people, especially those below the age of 20, can really appreciate classical music anyway.

So anyway, the other highlight of the game was ogling at the basketball guys. (Steph, you should've been there!) And, apparently, most Asian girls love Angmoh guys, coz all around I heard them swooning, "Oh. My. Gawsh. He's like, SO hawt. Look, look! Look at Number 7". Yeah, I even heard aunties (real ones, mind you, not the ones like me who're young but write aunty-letters.) say, " 那个七号的很帅!" But no, I don't indulge in such cheap thrills... Tsk tsk. But, haha, during the autograph session I took a photo with No. 7!

He's Shane (nice name) McDonald, from Australia. (My guy friends were calling him Old McDonald or Ronald McDonald but they're just jealous coz they're not as goodlooking, bah.)

At 182cm, he's actually the shortest player for that game. Shortest. I must be microscopic if I were to play professional basketball.

Oh, what a shame, my Bluetooth isn't working, so no pictures. Too bad then.

But seriously, I thought the game itself was more appealing than the people playing the game. Maybe it's because they were too far down on the court, and merely seemed like figurines darting about. I couldn't make out their faces clearly? Those giants actually looked small from where I was. How absurd.

Anyway, they say it's a "Singapore Team"? But only 3 players were Singaporean. It's all foreign talent... But come to think of it, most of our athletes are foreign talents (bring in your SS knowledge now). Know why? Coz you can't really make a living out of sports in Singapore. Unless you're reallyreallyreallyreallyreally good.

And that was one long postscript.

No comments: