Hi. This post is for a special junior of mine.
Today's post is going to be about learning to take things in your stride.
Frankly, I'm sure many of us have faced disappointment and obstacles in attempting to acheieve what we might aim for. Tears have been shed, tugging at hair strands in frustration; All of us have gone through that.
Sure, you might say you need an outlet in which you can vent all your anger on.
For some, it's shopping. For others, it's gaming. For me?
It's sleeping, crying, THEN reflecting. Most people tend to stop at crying, huh?
I just stared at them as they sobbed uncontrollably, not being one of the many selected. Of course, I felt disappointed in myself too.
But here's the thing that we ought to remember: Not being selected does not mean that you're hopeless. It does not mean that you will never be able to be good, or even accomplish your dreams.
Likewise, in life, I think we tend to give up once we encounter a problem; it happens to me all the time.
I would like to share an essay written on the topic of New Year Resolutions. Though it may be unrelated, I believe we have to take the same attitude and determination to accomplish what we aim for, and not just give up halfway.
(Start)
Firmly eteched into my mind is the question that has probably been repeated over a million times.
"What's your new year resoultion?" They smile broadly.
Funny they should ask.
I answer their question, laughing sheepishly, anticipating their immediate response and their expressions of horror and shock plastered all over their faces.
So what is the big deal about not having any new year resolutions?
" Why?" The horrifed people tower over me, making me feel like the tiniest midget in the whole world, not having a resolution.
So I do not believe in resolutions, and I do not think I ever will.
People tell me I do not have a goal in life, or even an aim in life, at the start of the new year.
However, we should ask ourselves this.
What percentage of the people who have made resolutions for the new year actually fufil them?
Maybe I have met cynical, self-absorbed and pessimistic people, but this seems to be the case for most of us.
I believe most of us end up giving up halfway. To me, it seems as though the motivation and drive to accomplish something in the new year are usually short-lived, dying off with time. Of course, there are those who are determined and make it all the way to the end, but how many of us are like that?
I think humans are lazy by nature, and we tend to take the easy way out, constantly telling ourselves that we do not have to do this.
We start thinking when we encounter an obstacle.
I am sure many of us would very much wish to give up right at that moment. We convince ourselves that we need not complete of fufil the resolution made, - you have absolutely nothing to lose, and it is goodbye to your new year resolution again.
Maybe I am pessimistic and cynical, but I frankly think that if we want to start something, we have to end it as well.
I have a new year resolution this year, and it is to stop making resolutions for the sake of making resolutions.
If I were to make resolutions, it would have to be something of some significance, something of value.
Like my aunt always tells me: " If you want to start it, be sure to end it as well."
(End)
I would like to quote a sentence from the essay.
" motivation and drive to accomplish something in the new year are usually short-lived, dying off with time."
Isn't this true of many of us?
Maybe it doesn't happen to you; but it does happen to me. Not only does it apply to the new year, but also in whatever we do.
However, I'm not suggesting that we be unrealistic, idealistic and start to have that screw-logic attitude.
I believe its important to be realistic, and face up to reality when the situation calls for it. Trying your best, will only award you with the right to finally say at the end of the road, " I tried my best. I couldn't do it."
" and we tend to take the easy way out, constantly telling ourselves that we do not have to do this."
I believe I do not need to emphasize on this. Its what people do. Making excuses all the damn time.
I'm guilty of making excuses too. Sure, many times.
But here's the thing: It's good that your determination is so strong and you're so willing to work. But I think it's also good to be realistic that within such a short period of time before the competition, its going to be extremely diffcult to improve. It's possible, but difficult.
We often deny everything.
And we also deny that we're in denial.
And sometimes,
that's just the thing that does us in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment